The list of all time best Bengali Movies
Ever since the advent of talkies, Bengal has taken a plunge into making of films. The history of Bengali movies witnessed the contribution of several potential actors and actresses that led to the plodding advancement of the Bengali movies. Since inception, Bengali cinema has attracted the interest of the elites and cultivated middle class people. Its development heightened with the enhancement of exceptional technical skills.
The commercial cinema of Bengal witnessed the phase of expansion in the year 1947. There was a time when the Bengali films were almost overshadowed by the Mumbai films. However, the film industry revived. Presently, the future looks bright as the number of investors is now ready to come with huge investments in Bengali cinema.
Besides, the Indian cinema is associated with the name of a number of actors, actresses and directors whom the world has given wide acclamation. Satyajit Roy, Mrinal Sen, Hrittick Ghatak, Aparna Sen, Goutam Ghosh, Rituparno Ghosh and others are some of the very acceptable names in the world cinema.
Here is the list of 15 best Bengali movies of all time:
- Apur Sansar: In this movie Satyajit Ray, introduces Soumitra Chatterjee casts as Apu, and Sharmila Tagore played the role of Aparna, his young wife. Both of them became regular characters in Ray’s films, but they acted every emotion of the story so well that it leaves an indelible impression. The film was released in India in 1959. It was awarded the National Film Award for Best Feature Film.
- Pather Panchali: Perhaps Ray’s well-known work till date and is the first part of his Apu Trilogy. He observes the world with the eyes of his key character Apu. He intertwines the brand of emotional practicality in the film. It has been honored at the Cannes Film Festival. Besides, the film has been counted as one of the best films in the World Cinema panorama. It was released in the year of 1955.
- Aranyer Din Ratri: Interpreted as “Days And Nights In The Forest”, the popular film of 1970. In this film Satyajit Ray centers round a group of friends fleeing from the din and bustle of the city life to a tribal region of Bihar. They came across a woman of nearly conceivable type and spent their time by flirting with the women. The starring Sharmila Tagore, Simi Garwal acted very impressively.
- Heerak Rajar Deshe: In this prelude the duo musician Goopi Gain and Bagha Bayin make a comeback. They are called in to the court of the Hirak Raja (Diamond King), for performing their musical skills. They have to show their skill on the occasion of Jubilee Celebration of the kingdom. But, with the application of natural goodness they find in the kingdom that all is not well. They become curious to find this that is quite contrary to what they use to think.
- Ek Din Pratidin: Released in the year of 1979 the film is directed by renowned Bengali directors Mrinal Sen. How the search for the daughter of a middle class family ends in worries and evolves in great crisis has been portrayed so well by the actress Mamata Shanker. With profound hidden strength, the actress overcomes the constraints of the society. The other actor Sreela Majumder and Gita Sen also performed very well. The film was awarded at Cannes Film festival in the year of 1980.
- Kharij: It is another mind blowing film of Mrinal Sen released in the year of The middle class mistreatments of the servants have never been shown in the way that film has shown. Anjan Dutt and Mamata Shankar acted the role of husband and wife. Sreela Mazumdar has a limited but significant role. The film has been flooded with honors and awards.
- Nagarik: This film of Hrittik Ghatak had a great influence on the filmmakers of the new generations. Nagarik is the directorial debut that features a migrant family that is victimized by the partition of Bengal. The family, eventually moves to a slum giving up their individual desires. Satindra, Prabhabati devi, Sova Sen, Lkali Benerjee cast very well. The film was released in 1952.
- Komal Gandher: Set in the background of the rivalry of two dedicated theater groups, the movie ends in love and romance. It was released in 1961. Supriya Choudhury, Abanish Bannerjee, Anil Chatterjee, Geeta De performed very specific role in the film. The film also earned great acclamation.
- Subarnarekha: The film was released in the year of 1962 and directed by Hrittik Ghatak. It was one of the most complex and impressive. It tells the story of Ishwar Chakraborty, who stays in a refugee camp after the partition. After being lonely, he committed suicide. Madhabi Mukherjee, Abhi Bhattacharya, Bijon Bhattacharya, Geeta De are some of the artists who did so well.
- Parama: It is a 1984 award-winning Indian film directed by the famous actress director. Here the protagonist Parama represented by Rakhi Gulzar, sacrifices individual potentialities and desires for the sake of the family. Nothing would have been so complex, if Rahul would not have come. The screenplay, the casting, the cinematography, the editing and above all the directing are all fascinating. It won the National Award in 2002.
- 36, Chowringhee Lane: The film was released in the year 1981. It was directed by Aparna Sen, and the popular actor of Hindi Cinema Sashi Kapoor produced the film. It is branded as the directorial debut of Aparna Sen. It won the National Film Award for the superb direction.
- Moner Manush: It is a 2010 Bengali feature film about the life and philosophy of a famous saintly leader Lalan. He is the folk singer and the poet of Bengal in the nineteenth century. This film Goutam Ghosh awarded Nargis Dutta Award for the spirit of national integration. The performance of Prasenjit Chatterjee, Paoli Dam left a strong impressions on the spectators.
- Antarjali Yatra: The movie was released in 1987. A celebrated Kolkata based director Goutam Ghosh directed it. It picturised the superstition of a high cast old man in the village of Bengal. The cast Shatrugna Sinha, Rabi Ghosh, Shampa Ghosh, Basanta Chowdhuri.
- Chokher Bali: The movie based on a Rabindra Nath Tagore’s book of the same name Chokher Bali. It is the first attempt of Aishwarya Rai in the Bengali film. The film is directed by Rituparno Ghosh and received a number of international acclamations. The performance of Prosenjit and Raima Sen brought most enthusiastic reviews of the movie.
- Antar Mahal: This Bengali movie is directed by Rituparno Ghosh casting Abhisekh Bachchan, Soha Ali Khan, Jackie Shroff, Roopa Ganguli and Raima Sen. It is set on the background of nineteenth century, in relation to a zamindar or the landlord who eagerly wanted for an heir.